Rovaniemi is the biggest city in Europe, meaning that it covers the largest area comparing to other European cities. In fact, it is around 8019 km². And now imagine that it has only 60 thousand of inhabitants, and the average density is less than 2 people per km². How do you think this city looks like? A centre, with shops and some hotels, and then forest, forest and more forest, here and there villages with 2-10 houses next to each other, and then more forest (Love It ❥)
Based on this there are two options:
- #1 – Either you get from Rovaniemi Airport to city centre, stay there in a hotel and book activities which include pick up and drop off (usually adds 30% to the price)
- #2 – Rent a car and travel around at your own pace, save money on transfers, rent an accommodation far from civilization to deep dive with your mind into the Lappish Nature
Should I emphasize that we chose the second option? After the trip to Lapland I can point out that you’ll miss 90% of the atmosphere without a car.
But in case you decided to stay in a place like Santa Claus Hotel which offers airport transfers, activities with pick up and drop off, then and only then you are okay without a car (but still I wouldn’t suggest this scenario)
Rovaniemi Airport Shuttle
A very customer-friendly company, understands that the region’s geography requires that public transportation is flexible and can be adjusted on request. The main things you need to know:
- The bus leaves from Rovaniemi Central Bus Station 1h10 min before every departing flight (if the departure time between 2 flights is 20 min or less, there will be one bus leaving 1h10min before the earliest flight). You need to book your seat online at least 24h before the departing flight. The shuttle makes a few stops at main hotels – check them out here
- You don’t need to book a seat when arriving to Rovaniemi airport. The bus leaves after each flight’s arrival.
- For 7 EUR/person you’ll get by bus to any hotel in the city centre
- For 10 EUR/person (or 16/2 people) you’ll get by bus to any address within the city centre
- For 12 EUR/person – to other addresses in the area.
The company also offers private transfers for groups within the area or other cities in Lapland (like Levi, Suomu etc.). This you have to book directly by calling.
In my opinion, a very wide range of offerings, it can almost take you to the middle of the forest if you wish))
Public bus from Rovaniemi Airport to Santa Claus Village
Bus #8 operates between the airport – Santa Claus Village and the Arctic Treehouse Hotel – there is an autumn, winter and spring schedule. The bus doesn’t operate in summer – from 3rd of June to 9th of August.
Public bus from Rovaniemi to Ivalo and Sodankyla
The bus operates from August to June – the schedule can be found here.
Getting from Rovaniemi Airport to Pyha Ski Resort
The famous resort is located 1h45min drive from the airport and there are several transportation options for you to choose:
- SkiBus from Rovaniemi Central Train Station – here
- SkiBus from Rovaniemi Airport – operates from 2 to 4 times a day, the timetable is linked to the arrivals schedule, that’s why if your plane is delayed over 1 hour, you should contact SkiBus, so the driver will wait for you. Schedule here
- More information on Pyha website
From Rovaniemi to other Finnish cities
Matkahuolto is the cheapest bus operator offering rides from Rovaniemi airport to the city centre, and transportation between Finnish cities across the country.
Check out their schedules here
Car rental in Rovaniemi Airport
As soon as you arrive and get into the airport you’ll spot the car rental desk with Hertz, Avis, Budget, Sixt and Europa Car. There are more companies offering car hire in Rovaniemi airport, but not all of them are having desks at arrivals, check them out here. Be sure to book your car online, prior arrival, because most of the car rental offices are open by request.
We had a very pleasant experience with renting out from Sixt. What surprised us is that the cars which are waiting for you on the parking are in fact running – they start the engine 30 min before actually driving so it warms up, as cars might get completely frozen in and out.
Taxi from Rovaniemi Airport. Getting around Lapland by taxi
Of course you can take a cab from the airport to your accommodation. But that’s not all. Local taxi companies offer sightseeing tours (1h, 2h, 3h or even more) and taxi packages. For example you want to go from Rovaniemi to the Ranua Zoo and back, and want your driver to wait for you? No problem, that can be arranged.
Check out here the packages and book a sightseeing tour by taxi here
Book a taxi from Rovaniemi Airport to the city centre or any other location within Lapland here
You can pay either with cash or credit card.
An airport taxi service for either tour operator customers, or very demanding VIPs and groups. They can arrange a transport within Rovaniemi district. Book it here
⇓ ⇓ ⇓
Want a dream holiday and ready-to-go itinerary?
We’ve covered that here 😉