Below you can find my very well examined guide to Malta hotels. Luxurious and boutique hotels, all inclusive or self catering stays.
Need more or want a hussle-free and ready-to-go holidays itinerary?
We’ve covered that here 😉
Valletta - my experience
Valletta is your place on the island if you’re relying on public transportation and wish to see Malta without renting a car or using taxis.
That’s the reason I stayed in Valletta (although most of the times I used taxis), and I can say that’s perhaps one of the best places on the island if you are a solo-traveller or just people not interested in nightlife & museums 🙂
I’ve chosen Valletta Boutique Living apartments, although I would prefer to stay in a hotel, since I didn’t need any kitchen facilities, but would be glad to have a handy receptionist nearby. Well, my choice was influenced mainly by the capital city’s price-range – it was one month before departure, but I couldn’t find any hotel for less than 200 EUR/night. Valletta is the most expensive place in Malta when it comes to accommodation and if you get something for 100 EUR/night, it’s a bargain!
In VBL I payed 90 EUR/night for a studio apartment, with a shared kitchen on the ground floor.
So let’s sum up my experience over there:
- The studio was very good looking and well maintained.
- Communication – I didn’t like the fact they the manager made me filling some booking applications, besides my reservation on booking.com. First of all, the file they’ve sent wasn’t easily editable, so I wasted a lot of time on it.
- Reliability – I was told I’ll be informed about the self check-in details one-week prior arrival. This didn’t happen, until I reminded. And even more: one of the options was a booked taxi with a driver meeting me in the airport and having the keys to my apartment for me. As soon as I confirmed this option and payed, I received a ‘confirmation email’ that the driver will meet me and the key will be in the box at the entrance of the apartment. So arriving at 11 pm I had to rely on codes & boxes, which I don’t like doing. Actually I overpaid this taxi service just to have the keys handed over by a human being.
- Storing luggage at their office (only Mon-Fri 10 to 5) comes at an extra cost – 5 EUR, on the other hand they don’t confirm the late check-out (booking’s genius free option) even when you request it just before departure (so they know no one would check in)
- And the worse, let me repeat myself from the Malta article. If you provide a kitchen to your guests, which has all the cooking utensils, salt, pepper, sugar, instant coffee etc., why don’t you have some tea bags? Especially in a country where a great part of residents and tourists are from the UK.
I was so desperate… that I couldn’t agree with this unfairness. It was 8:45 pm, and I knew that in my room (floor 3, stairs) I have a list of shops in the area. Running up, finding the list and checking if any is open. Gigi shop closes at 9 pm! I’m running out checking its location – should be behind the corner, but can’t find anything open. Asking a woman passing by the street and she says it’s already closed. But I didn’t give up!
I started to check petrol stations; they’re usually 24/7. Well, the closest open one was at Luqa…
One more hope left – pharmacies. I was ready to buy chamomile and brew it. But there was no open pharmacy at 9 pm in Valletta.
So I warmed up some water in a pot (the electric kettle didn’t work) and imagined I drink tea.
On the other hand, they provide you with quite a lot of information upon arrival, that you almost don’t need a receptionist. There was a catalogue with tour available across the island, a list with shops, wifi passwords, manuals to the heater, AC, router etc.
On the last day when I went to store my luggage I found he staff very friendly and helpful.
I didn’t want to make this review that negative. It just a list of things which should be improved in my opinion.
Valletta - hotels and apartments
- Trabuxu Boutique Living – not only boutique apartments, but also a bistro and wine bar
- Valletta Suites
- Valletta Vintage
- Manoel Theatre apartments
- Palazzo Prince d’Orange – luxurious apartments with concierge service, gym, BBQ facilities, terraces etc.
- Barakka Suites – perhaps the best location in Valletta
- Valletta Guest House – self-catering 3-floored house, which is part of an original 16th century palatial town house
- Hotel Excelsior – with views of Marsamxett Harbour & Fort Manoel, own yacht marina, complimentary transfers to Valletta centre two times a day and private tours around the island
- SU29 Boutique Hotel – loved by guests by its outstanding customer service and little extras like coffee machines in rooms
- The Phoenicia Malta – centrally located and perhaps the best infinity pool in Valletta
- Ursulino Valletta – a hotel with exceptional views of the Grand Harbour
Golden Bay, Mdina & Rabat
St Julian's, Paceville, Sliema
- Rafael Spinola Hotel – St Julian’s, 3*
- Alexandra Hotel – St Julian’s, 3*
- Le Meridien Hotel & Spa – St Julian’s, 5*
- The Westin Dragonara Resort – St Julian’s, 5*
- Hotel Hilton Malta – St Julian’s, 5*
- Tropicana Hotel – Paceville, 2*
- Rokna Hotel – Paceville, 3*
- Hacienda Guesthouse – Paceville
- Plaza Regency Hotels – Sliema, 3*
- Granny’s Inn Hostel – Sliema
- NSTS Hibernia Hostel – Sliema
- The Mercury Residence – Sliema
- Day’s Inn Hotel – Sliema
- Palazzo Capua – Sliema, 5*
- The Palace – Sliema, 5*
- Fortina Spa Resort – Sliema, 5*
Mellieha, St Paul's, Cirkewwa
- Ramla Bay Resort – Mellieha, 4*
- Pergola Club Hotel & Spa – Mellieha, 4*
- Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa – Mellieha, 4*
- Solana Hotel & Spa – Mellieha, 4*
- The Riviera Resort & Spa – Mellieha, 4*
- Splendid Guesthouse – Mellieha
- Il-Palazzin Hotel – St Paul’s, 4*
- Gillieru Harbour Hotel – St Paul’s, 4*
- The Mediterranea Hotel & Suites – St Paul’s, 4*
- San Pawl Hotel – St Paul’s, 3*
- Paradise Bay Hotel – Cirkewwa, 4*
- Lantern Guesthouse – Marsalforn
- Santa Martha Hostel – Marsalforn
- Grand Hotel – Mgarr, 4*
- Kempinski Hotel San Lawrenz – San Lawrenz, 5*
- Hotel Ta’ Cenc & Spa – Sannat, 5*
- Downtown Hotel – Victoria, 3*
- Mariblu Guesthouse – Xewkija
- Hotel Xlendi Resort & Spa – Xlendi, 3*
- San Antonio Guesthouse – Xlendi
- Daydream B&B – Xaghra
- Il Girasole B&B Gozo – Xaghra
- Cornucopia Hotel – Xaghra, 4*
- Orchids House Bed and Breakfast – Xaghra
- Gozo Hills Bed and Breakfast – Xaghra
Farmhouse stays in Gozo
- The best source of farmhouse stays in Gozo – find & book at Gozo Farmhouses page