Best places to stay in Barcelona
Winery stays | Wine Spa accommodation in Catalonia
- Cava & Hotel Mas Tinell – – located on a wine estate in the heart of Penedes, even the hotel’s shape itself imitates champagne bottles. Wellness centre, week-end packages and various wine activities.
- Can Bonaste – a vineyard hotel, offering winery activities & tastings, as well as spa, conference facilities and organization of special events, weddings.
- La Pobla de Lillet – a romantic castle stay with breakfast & spa – 115 EUR/night/couple
- Hotel Castell D’Emporda – four-star hotel in castle, a romantic stay with breakfast & cocktails – 144 EUR/night/couple
- La Bisbal d’Emporda
- Hotel Perlada Wine Spa & Golf – a five-star hotel on Costa Brava, a few minutes away from the beach, offers wine spa & wine therapy beauty treatments, wine tasting room, gardens, golf course, football field and padel courts.
- Mas Gelama – Empolda’s oldest winery, where you can stay in the fully equiped farmhouse.
Whole castle is yours
- Castell de Fonolleres – Lleida – 6 rooms, 6 bathrooms & 7 beds, with maximum capacity of 15 guests, outdoor facilities (pool, parking, garden with grill) – prices from 420 to 510 EUR/night
- Castell de L’Espunyola – Espunyola – grill, swimming pool, garden, maximum 6 guests – from 133 EUR/night
- La Torre les Cots – Lloberola – 7 rooms & 3 bathrooms, 9 beds and maximum 14 gests – swimming pool, parking, garden – from 378 EUR/night
- Castillo Cal Tristany – 17th century renovated country house, 6 rooms & 6 bathrooms, maximum capacity of 18 guests, parking, swimming pool, garden, playing room on the group floor – from 450 EUR/night
- Cal Raich – 3 rooms, 2 bathrooms, 4 beds, with maximum capacity of 8 guests – from 180 EUR/night
Rural accommodation in Barcelona and Catalonia
if I had some more time to explore the region, let’s say I would be able to cover it all in 2-4 weeks, I would definitely stay not in Barcelona (with all my respect to this magnificent city), but a bit inside the region, behind hills and mountains, hidden in deep forests, accessible by only off-road cars countryside farmhouses. For me they are the little sour-sweet cherry on top of a chocolate cake – once you’re done with the cake, go for the cherry.
Most of the countryside houses hosting travelers (when you are on that advanced level, you are not a tourist anymore, but a traveller) are called with a weird (as for me) word ‘Can’. In English it means what it means, in Turkish it’s a name and means ‘life’ or ‘soul’, in Catalan it’s simply ‘house of’. The Catalan Tourist Office offers more than two thousand rural accommodation options on it’s website – you’ll definitely won’t get to booking.com with this enormous portfolio!
Some recommendations from me:
- Ca la Florinda – in Tarragona
- Masia Sapera – located in Pontos, very close to Penedes – the famous wine region
- Can Rosich – just 4km to the seaside
- Can Mas – just 20km from Figueres and 35km to Cadaques, so in between the Dalí visiting spots – Gala – Dalí Castle and Dalí house
- Hotel Rural Pasteral – a countryside hotel near Girona, far away from tourists, but with perfect facilities – like jacuzzis, hydro massage showers, swimming pool, restaurant, terrace, garden, Wifi. Duplexes, double rooms or suites are available. The hotel is organizing activities like hiking, cycling and fishing.
Fine-dining hotels in Catalonia
Some recommendations from me:
- Hotel Terradets – located on the Lake Terradets and Sierra Montsec, facilities include swimming pool, wellness centre, meeting rooms for up to 300 people and a rustic restaurant with seasonal specials, as well as vegetarian and gluten-free menus
- Can Boix – a hotel in an 18th century property, in the Pyrenean foothills, with pool & wellness facilities, tennis courts, conference rooms and a fine dining restaurant with a rustic feel and a wine cellar.
- La Canonja – a 12th century farmhouse, located 10min drive from Tarragona, on a 110 hectares of gardens and olive groves. It offers all the luxury hotel must-have facilities and besides that a haute cuisine restaurant a wine and olive mill and winery.
Luxury hotels in Barcelona
- Casa Fuster – designed by Lluis Domènech i Montaner – the author of two UNESCO Heritage Sites in Barcelona. Originally the building was considered the most expensive in the city (constructed in 1908). Today it’s a renovated and hosts a five-star hotel, terrace with views over Passeig de Gracia, a swimming pool and a terrace sundeck, a restaurant combining cutting-edge traditions with Mediterranean cuisine. It’s Café Vienes was a setting for a scene in the famous ‘Vicky Crisitina Barcelona’ movie.
- Cava & Hotel Mas Tinell – located on a wine estate in the heart of Penedes, even the hotel’s shape itself imitates champagne bottles. Wellness centre, week-end packages and various wine activities.
- Hotel Omm – located in the centre of Barcelona, it has a spa, a gym, a terrace with a pool and views of La Pedrera, a bar and the Roca Moo Restaurant which has been awarded one Michelin Star.
Authentic accommodation in Barcelona – unusual, very ‘souly’ places
I got inspired by a hotel chain in Barcelona to write this little section of unusual places to stay. Well, my inspiratory is not a treehouse or an underground hotel, but a place where pragmatic people would stay.
Do you like waking up with the smell of freshly baked bread? Hotel Praktik Bakery is the place where you should do, since it has a bakery inside it. Are you a fan of wine, wine-tastings and happy just because you see those dark-glassed bottles around? Then your place in Barcelona is Hotel Praktik Vinoteca. Looking for an oasis inside a big city? Hotel Praktik Garden is where you’ll find peace. Daydreaming about places with a long background? Stay in a 19th century palace – Praktik Rambla, originally Casa Climent Arola, was built at the beginning of the 19th century by famous Catalan architect Francesc de P. Villar i Carmona. Besides that in all their hotels you can opt for a Praktik Experience – ‘Praktik in Love’, ‘Praktik Wine Escape’ and ‘Praktik Break’ – for 2 people with double room + extras included. The most interesting is that the price doesn’t vary too much whether you are booking just a room or an experience – price for 2 nights for 2 people is from 250 to 300 EUR both cases.
One of the most beautiful boutique hotels in Barcelona, located in a 12th century building with a lounge bar, library and a rooftop terrace. It’s all in details in Hotel Neri – they offer butler service, in-room massages, personalized drinks, daily fresh flowers in your room and even a choice of pillow filling. As a price you may expect anything from 200 to 600 EUR/night per double room.
Once the headquarter of General Philippines Tobacco Company, the building was reborn in 2005 after extensive renovation. The colonial-style hotel is located in the centre of the city, in Rambla, offering Jazz nights every Saturday and rooftop terrace with a swimming pool and sundeck area.
A B&B located on a top floor of a 20th century building. It has 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and a spacious living room with a fireplace. In Chez Papa they focus on organic cuisine & life-style: organic breakfast, cellar wines & organic picnic product selection, natural light elevator, essential oils air purification. Double room price starts from 95 EUR/night
A floating apartment on a yacht, your stay here can convert into a Mediterranean cruise if you wish! Minimum stay in the yacht is 2 nights and 2 people, the cruise offer is on Costa Brava is 6 nights and up to four people. Prices are from 200 EUR/night
Centrally located budget hotels in Barcelona
- Hotel Amrey Sant Pau – from 95 EUR/double room – I would advise to book through booking.com, since the web-reservation didn’t function on their web-site
- Hotel California – from 97 EUR/double room
- Hotel Quatro Naciones – from 105 EUR/double room – located on Las Ramblas
- Catalonia Barcelona Golf – from 95 EUR/double room – again advise to book through booking.com, the reason is the same as above J
- Hotel Bonanova Park – from 120 EUR/double room